Profiling is still neededThe concept of profiling FHIR is still needed. The difference today is that FHIR is ready and instrumented to be Profiled. It even has a set of Profiles coming from HL7. This is not a threat, this is an opportunity for IHE.
Given that FHIR needs to be Profiled is a fact. A Profile is fundamentally a set of constraints and interactions applied to a Standard, to achieve a specific purpose. This is just as true with FHIR as with any other standard.
FHIR is Profile InstrumentedFHIR is ripe for being Profiled, and is ---Instrumented--- to be profiled. That is that it has mechanisms built into the specification to make Profiling more easy, effective, repeatable, reusable, and discoverable.
- Technical instrumentation within FHIR -- http://build.fhir.org/conformance-module.html
- FHIR has tools and community support -- http://www.fhir.org
- Reference Implementations (e.g. Grahame’s Server) -- http://wiki.hl7.org/index.php?title=Publicly_Available_FHIR_Servers_for_testing
- Testing Toolings (automation of testing scripts using TestScript) -- http://www.fhir.org/conformance-testing
- Profile writing (IG) tools -- http://fhir.furore.com/Forge
- Registry of Profiles (IG) – http://www.fhir.org/guides/registry and https://simplifier.net/Search
- Discussion Forums -- http://chat.fhir.org/ and http://community.fhir.org/
IHE needs to modernize
- Audience expects use of Conformance resources and tools (see above)
- can only publish PDF – FTP is not good
- does not have a usable mechanism for creation, publication, and maintenance of vocabulary, value-set, and URL
- can’t publish conformance constraints in technical format (XML, JSON)
- PDF clunky, not hyper-linked, not helpful with programming tools
- Audience can’t find IHE if they start at the FHIR specification
- Yet, those Implementation Guides that use FHIR.ORG are found
- IHE has little development and deployment community engagement
- FHIR has multiple tools to help outreach and interaction with community
- IHE has email
- IHE workgroups are randomly engaged and acting different