How does one find a FHIR Document in XDS?
Both questions are asking very similar things. The key is the XDS fundamental metadata element mimeType. Let me explain...
XDS, more broadly the whole Document Sharing family, including XDS, XCA, XDR, XDM, and MHD. With a set of more narrow IHE Profiles in DSUB, MPQ, SeR, and MU.
To learn more on Document Sharing, start here: Eating an Elephant -- How to approach IHE documentation on Health Information Exchange (HIE)
- Patient Specific content -- so all the documents must be about a specified patient
- Document format -- so it is not a REST server.
Initially Document Sharing was about 'historic' documents. That is a document is published, and in the future it can be discovered and retrieved. Thus the Document is "Shared". Later it gained support for "On-Demand" documents. That is a document that is created when it is retrieved. An On-Demand document is still a document, it is just created a the time it is retrieved, and thus contains the current knowledge about that patient at the time. Both of these might still be needed for FHIR Documents.
This is where the question comes from... If I have a FHIR Document, how would I publish that into XDS? If I want FHIR Document, how would I find them in my XDS system? -- or more broadly any of the Document Sharing, because this applies to XDM (Direct Secure Messaging), and other...
Key to FHIR Documents in XDS
FormatCode might be more powerful
All the other metadata simply explain the content.
- IHE #FHIR profiles - MHD, PDQm, and PIXm
- MHD - Why use of FHIR Contained?
- IHE FormatCodes are mandatory
- In Wisconsin we have Interoperability
- What is MHD beyond XDS-on-FHIR?
- Health Information Exchange: Centralized, Federated, or Distributed
- Define Atom -- Too many definitions in use today
- Eating an Elephant -- How to approach IHE documentation on Health Information Exchange (HIE)
- Distinction between Documents and Messages
- Understanding XDS metadata - IHE re-documentation effort
- XDS Notifications
- HIE Patient Identity problem
- Healthcare Metadata
- Minimal Metadata
- What is the benefit of an HIE
- Karen's Cross or just Minimal Metadata
- HIE using IHE