There will be testimony from NSTIC pilot projects. I have written about NSTIC before (see articles below), it is really very useful and progressive work. The hearing will be used to determine how viable the technology is, how soon Healthcare can utilize it, and what it might be best used for. I hope also that standards gaps are made clear, and that policy and operational issues are brought to light. The core 'interoperability' standards are simply the stuff IHE has been profiling for years: ATNA, XUA, and IUA. The gaps are in the maturity of the glue standards, and the operational issues. Trust is very much a policy problem first, that is enabled with a little bit of technology.
Some articles I have written on the topic:
- Enabling Patients to Delegate Healthcare Information Access Authority
- mHealth Identities using trusted intermediary
- HIE Patient Identity problem
- IHE efforts in RESTful security
- Identity Proofing and Authentication -- Patient vs Provider
- Trusted Identity of Physicians in Cyberspace Public Hearing